Start a new topic

Add9 or Add7 Question

Hi Mark,I allways notice in lessons that teachers over look some things as if I should already know it.You may have explained already but I missed it.Looking at chord charts I can do what it shows me to do but I don't understand why an add9 or add7 is called that..Explain why it is ,The placement on the string or what. I don't understand it.Thanks and keep up the good work.Bob Fortner

HI Bob,

The answer is purely in music theory. In a few words an add9 means that it adds the 9th note to that particular chord you are playing... Here is a good explanation from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_chord

I can't find a place to "contact Mark", so I'm doing it through here.  Hope I get an answer and an alert that there is an answer.  Thanks.

I asked my son, who is a certified sound engineer and is very familiar with guitar chord sounds and more, also a sound instructor at a local college......asked him to be honest with me and critique my strumming.  He wrote back that he felt my strumming was too deliberate.

I then told him that I knew I was guilty of putting too much accent on the first chord when I make a chord change and asked if that is what he meant.

He wrote the following back:  no I mean rigid to the beat a bit robotic--then you sing with proper rhythm feeling over it.  This sounds awkward...  Solution is to relax and let strumming have human, not robotic beat clock.

I don't know exactly how to interprit this response.  Can you help at all.....make it clearer for me?  I don't want to ask my son again.  Hope you understand.

Charlotte 

Mesa Arizona      P.S.  I'm not upset or anything, just want to understand it.

Login to post a comment